Monday, March 26, 2007

The Uncertainty Principle

When you look at 'darkness', I mean the word in its literal sense, it just means a 'lack of light'. But for some reason it seems to frighten us beyond measure.

When you examine darkness, in the sense that you turn off the lights of a room, it's still the same room, it's just that there is no light there anymore. So why go into a crippling mental state on the bases of such a minor lacking?

Alot of people reason this 'fear of the dark' through symbolism, which has varying implications for all that is dark, ranging from "evil forces" and "going astray" to generally everything which is not good in this world. But the question is "Why?" Why do such symbolisms exist?

I am not sure but I have a theory.

I think it all exists on the general basis of 'Uncertainty'. Whenever there is an absence of light a person is automatically thrown into the realm of uncertainty. Although only one of our senses has been disabled (the rest are functioning as always) we only then realise how heavily dependent we are on our sight. Under such conditions we are very uncomfortable with having to 'stumble around' trying to find our way through– we are, in essence, 'uncertain' of what we have to do next.

Human beings in general, I think, have a great loathing for 'uncertainty'. We do not deal with it very well.

But this principle of 'uncertainty' leads to another theory I have.

I think "Evil" in itself is not an entity. I think evil is but a mere presence of 'uncertainty' in a situation and nothing more. Or more appropriately "doubt". When you think about it alot of 'bad things' generally arise when we have doubt about a person, a situation or even about ourselves.

Although it is true that a person cannot be certain about everything that is around him/her, but the way he/she chooses to handle 'uncertainty' is key to the outcome of the uncertainty...so I believe evil is basically being afraid of the uncertain...

I shall ponder some more and see if there is a better answer to my question...

No comments: