Monday, March 26, 2007

I love the smell of old Libraries...wisdom smells incredibly sweet.

It's funny, I come from a long line of readers. Father, grandfather, cousins, uncles-you name it, we are all voracious readers.

Some of my fondest memories are associated with going to book vendors and buying second hand books at dirt cheap prices. And once I was done reading them I could always go back to the same vendor and return the book and get another book almost free. I loved it!

I loved the musty smell that emanated from these books, I loved the wonderfully yellowed pages, I even loved the little scribbles left behind by the previous owners. But most of all, I loved the thought that those books would take me away on some far away adventure, about which I'd be day-dreaming for weeks afterwards! It was beautiful.

Back then it was so much easier to satisfy my inherited yearning for knowledge but as I grew older it seemed harder and harder to do...

It's strange considering the fact that reading is a dying art, there are no steps taken to make books more accessible, especially where I live. Lack of decent libraries, shutting down of book fairs that sell inexpensive books (admittedly pirated, but in this country only the very rich can afford original books, it puts the the less fortunate at a great disadvantage), all contribute to the fact that in about a decade or so there will not be people reading books at all...I will miss books terribly...

No comments: